Join Our Writing Workshops in Japan
Are you a wannabe travel writer or an aspiring journalist with itchy feet? Do you want to spend a month in the Land of the Rising Sun learning a language, studying with media industry pros and getting real-world writing experience?
We’re on the hunt for a team of hobos who want to live, work and study in Tokyo – one of the world’s coolest capitals. Over the course of four weeks, you’ll be living and breathing all of Tokyo’s quirks, attending daily writing workshops taught by passionate young people from the media industry and studying Japanese with a top language school. In your spare time, you’ll will be writing their butts off, preparing two pieces to be pitched and published online and putting together a comprehensive city guidebook in teams.
The course has been expertly designed to be a bridge between studying and entering the workforce as a freelance writer, starting a publication or transforming your own blog into a workable commodity. If you’re a high-school leaver, it’s the perfect mini escape before you hit the books again next year. If you’re already in the throes of university and studying journalism or communications, you may be eligible for a full subject’s credit. And if you’re not studying and you’re just on the hunt for a sweet project that combines travel and writing, this is the ultimate opportunity to get some real-world industry experience.
Accommodation will be in shared rooms in two funky houses in Taito, one close to Ueno Station and the other near Kuramae – just 30 minutes by train from the centre. Don’t stress if you don’t know anyone else coming along – meeting new people is the point, and we’ll match you up with some sick roomies. Your writing and language classes will be held in the colourful business district that is Shinjuku
What you get:
- Daily travel-writing and blogging workshops with a range of editors, writers and producers from the media industry (think publications like Global Hobo, Your Friend’s House, VICE, Tone Deaf and more). Classes will cover topics such as travel-narrative writing, pitching to editors, building a brand and working as a freelancer on the road in exchange for sweet, sweet cash.
- 30 hours of small-group Japanese language and cultural classes with a reputable Tokyo school
- One month’s accommodation in Japanese-style hotel rooms, complete with WiFi and easy access to public transport.
- A Japanese cooking class
- Potential university credit
- Note that flights are not included! Sorry, but we couldn’t possibly tee up deals with every airline and from every city in the world.
- $3450 per person to cover shared accommodation, language classes, cooking school and writing workshops.
Upcoming Program Dates:
- June 24 – July 21, 2019
- January 13 – February 9, 2020
Successful applicants will be intelligent, open-minded creatives looking for some real-world journalism experience and to get a taste of Tokyo’s weirdness and wonder. The ability to work well in a group is essential. Do note though that the course is just that: a course. You don’t need to already have a foot in the door of the media industry to apply, nor do you already need to be the best writer. All the skills you’ll need to start sculpting your words like a pro and getting published will be taught as part of the curriculum. In fact, many students often keep working for Global Hobo on a freelance basis once the course is over.
- This looks kind of scammy — I’d like to read some reviews of the program from previous hobos!
- Suss our Testimonials Page.
- I want to know some more information about the program!
- Give our Program FAQ a read.
- What do some of the previous guidebooks look like?
- Check out some gold whipped up by our former spunky interns here.
- What are your terms and conditions?
- Click here.
Is a month in Bali scooting around rice paddies, exploring lush beaches and hiking volcanoes at dawn more up your alley? Come do our writing workshops in Canggu instead.