Are you a wannabe travel writer or an aspiring journalist with itchy feet? Do you want to spend a month on an island paradise in Indonesia learning a language, studying with media industry pros and getting real-world writing experience?
Travel to the hip Balinese surf town of Canggu with Global Hobo. Over the course of four weeks, a team of word-savvy hobos will be given intensive writing and blogging tutelage focused on travel and digital media, as well as cross-cultural language training with a local language school. In their free time, hobos will be exploring every nook and cranny of southern Bali so they can put together a comprehensive online destination guide in teams. They’ll also be producing two pieces to be pitched and published online – either for Global Hobo or elsewhere – which will be heavily workshopped over the course of the program.
The course has been expertly designed to be a bridge between studying and entering the workforce as a freelance writer, starting your own publication or transforming your own blog into a workable commodity. If you’re a high-school leaver, this program is the perfect mini exchange to squeeze in before you hit the books again next year. If you’re already in the throes of university and studying something like journalism or communications, you may even be eligible for a full subject’s credit. And if you’re not studying and you’re just on the hunt for a sweet project that combines travel and writing, well really, it would be rude not to, right?
What you get:
- Daily travel-writing and blogging workshops with a range of passionate young people who work in the media industry (writers and editors from publications like Global Hobo, Your Friends House, VICE, Surfing Life, Year 13 and Slam). Think travel-narrative writing, pitching to editors, building a brand and working as a freelancer on the road in exchange for sweet, sweet cash.
- 30 hours of small-group Bahasa Indonesia language classes with a top Balinese school
- A five-course Balinese cooking class on an organic farm in the mountains
- One month twin-share accommodation in air-conditioned bungalows, complete with WiFi, a shared kitchen and two pools
- A month’s membership at digital nomad hub and coworking space Dojo Bali
- Airport pickup upon arrival in Denpasar
- Help with yoga, surfing lessons and scooter rental
- Potential university credit
- Note that flights are not included! Sorry, but we couldn’t possibly tee up sweet deals with every airline and from every city in the world.
- $2399 per person to cover accommodation, language classes, cooking school, writing workshops, airport pickup and co-working space membership
Upcoming Program Dates:
- November 26 – December 23, 2018
- June 24 July 21, 2019
Successful applicants will be intelligent, open-minded creatives looking for some real-world journalism experience and to get a taste of Indonesia beyond its tourist vortex. The ability to work well in a group is essential, and if you’re good enough at it, once the program is over, we may even invite you to join our incredible team of writers.
What’s more, if you’re a journalism, media or communications student, enrollment in the program gives you the potential to receive a full subject’s worth of university credit as part of your institution’s Work Integrated Learning Program; however, this will need to be determined on a case-by-case basis upon discussion with your head of department.
You can watch a video trailer of the program here. If you’d like to read some reviews of the program from previous hobos, suss our testimonials page. If you wanna see what previous hobos have been up to in Bali, check out our Instagram. If you’d like to check out previous guidebooks made by our spunky hobos, click here. For all terms and conditions associated with our Bali workshops, click here.
Is a month in Tokyo eating sushi, wandering bustling city streets and partying in underground bars more up your alley? Come do our writing workshops in Japan instead.