Do a Writing Retreat in Bali With Global Hobo
Are you a wannabe travel writer or an aspiring journalist with itchy feet? Do you want to spend a month on an island paradise in Indonesia learning a language, studying with media industry pros and getting real-world writing experience?
Travel to the hip Balinese surf town of Canggu with Global Hobo. Over the course of four weeks, a team of word-savvy hobos will be given intensive writing and blogging tutelage focused on travel and digital media, as well as cross-cultural training with a local language school. In their free time, hobos will be exploring every nook and cranny of southern Bali so they can put together a comprehensive online destination guide in teams. They’ll also be producing two pieces to be pitched and published online – either for Global Hobo or elsewhere – which will be heavily workshopped over the course of the program.
If you’re a high-school leaver, this program is the perfect mini exchange to squeeze in before you hit the books again next year. If you’re already in the throes of university and studying something like journalism or communications, you may even be eligible for a full subject’s credit. And if you’re not studying and you’re just on the hunt for a project that combines travel and writing, this is the ultimate opportunity to get some real-world industry experience.
What you get:
- Daily travel-writing and blogging workshops with a range of passionate young people who work in the media industry (writers and editors from Global Hobo, the ABC, VICE, Monster Children, Culture Trip and Slam). Think travel-narrative writing, pitching to editors, building a brand and working as a freelancer on the road in exchange for sweet, sweet cash.
- 30 hours of small-group Bahasa Indonesia language classes with a top Balinese school
- A five-course Balinese cooking class on an organic farm in the mountains
- One month twin-share accommodation in air-conditioned bungalows, complete with WiFi, a shared kitchen and two pools
- A month’s membership at digital nomad hub and co-working space Dojo Bali
- Airport pickup upon arrival in Denpasar
- Help with yoga, surfing lessons and scooter rental
- Potential university credit
- Note that flights are not included! Sorry, but we couldn’t possibly tee up deals with every airline and from every city in the world.
- $2399 per person to cover accommodation, language classes, cooking school, writing workshops, airport pickup and co-working space membership
Upcoming Program Dates:
- November 26 – December 23, 2018
- June 24 – July 21, 2019
Successful applicants will be intelligent, open-minded creatives looking for some real-world journalism experience and to get a taste of Indonesia beyond its tourist vortex. The ability to work well in a group is essential. Do note though that the course is just that: a course. You don’t need to already have a foot in the door of the media industry to apply, nor do you already need to be the best writer. All the skills you’ll need to start sculpting your words like a pro and getting published will be taught as part of the curriculum. In fact, many students often keep working for Global Hobo on a freelance basis once the course is over.
If you’d like to watch a vid of the program, check our Youtube. If you’re interested in reading some reviews from previous hobos, suss our testimonials page. If you wanna see what previous hobos have been up to in Bali, follow our Instagram. If you’d like to check out previous guidebooks made by our spunky hobos, click here. For all terms and conditions associated with our Bali workshops, click here.
Is a month in Tokyo eating sushi, wandering bustling city streets and partying in underground bars more up your alley? Come do our writing workshops in Japan instead.