Join Our Team of Interns in Bali
Are you a wannabe travel writer or an aspiring journalist with itchy feet? Do you want to spend a month on an island paradise in Indonesia learning a language, studying with media industry pros and getting real-world writing experience?
Travel to the hip Balinese surf town of Canggu with Global Hobo. Over the course of four weeks, a team of word-savvy hobos will be given intensive writing and blogging tutelage focused on travel and digital media, as well as cross-cultural language training with a local language school. In their free time, interns will be exploring every nook and cranny of southern Bali so they can put together a comprehensive online destination guide in teams. They’ll also be producing two pieces for Global Hobo, which will be heavily workshopped over the course of the program.
If you’re a high-school leaver, this program is the perfect mini exchange to squeeze in before you hit the real world next year. If you’re already in the throes of university and studying something like journalism or communications, you may even be eligible for a full subject’s credit. And if you’re not studying and you’re just on the hunt for a cool project that combines travel and writing, well really, it would be rude not to, right?
What you get:
- Daily travel-writing and blogging workshops with a range of industry professionals (writers and editors from publications like Global Hobo, Your Friends House, VICE, Surfing Life and Lonely Planet). Think travel-narrative writing, pitching to editors, building a brand and selling your soul as a freelancer in exchange for sweet, sweet cash.
- 30 hours of small-group Bahasa Indonesia language classes with a reputable Balinese school.
- A Balinese cultural class (woodcarving, music, dance or offering making)
- One month twin-share accommodation in air-conditioned bungalows, complete with WiFi, a shared kitchen and two pools
- A month’s membership at digital nomad hub and coworking space Dojo Bali
- Airport pickup upon arrival in Denpasar
- Sweet deals on yoga, surfing lessons and motorbike hire
- Potential university credit
- Note that flights are not included! Sorry, but we couldn’t possibly tee up sweet deals with every airline and from every city in the world.
- $1989 per person to cover accommodation, language and cultural classes, writing workshops, transport and co-working space membership
Upcoming Program Dates:
- November 27 – December 25 2016 (last class December 22)
- January 9 – February 5 2017 (note places are limited)
Successful applicants will be intelligent, open-minded creatives looking for some real-world journalism experience and to get a taste of Indonesia beyond its tourist vortex. The ability to work well in a group is essential, and if you’re good enough at it, once the internship is over, we may even invite you to join our incredible team of writers.
What’s more, if you’re a journalism, media or communications student, enrollment in the program gives you the potential to receive a full subject’s worth of university credit as part of your institution’s Work Integrated Learning Program; however, this will be need to be determined on a case-by-case basis upon discussion with your head of department.
If you wanna see what previous interns have been up to in Bali, check out our Instagram. If you’d like to check out previous guidebooks made by our spunky interns, click here. For all terms and conditions associated with our Bali internships, click here.